Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Day 358, on which John... wait, where the heck did the day go? [22.12.10]

Dag tre hundrede otteoghalvtreds. The title says it all. First day of the holiday, I guess I'd better do someth- aw crap, where'd it go? It just went so fast. I managed to get a couple of hours' graphics work done in the evening, though, which was really helpful for my christmas presents, but now I'm seeing everything in vectors, which is kinda offputting. I also saw the Woody Allen film Match Point, which was a very strangely directed film whose moral intentions were rather mixed. Plus, it was cringe-makingly stereotypical of the British upper class and the main character was acted atrociously. Despite all this, I still liked the film, somehow. Something about the inevitability of a total mess and breakdown of the main character as is set up right from the start, and the way it moves very quickly through the could've-been boring bits.


OK, today I thought I'd show you the development sketches for the Rødovre Townhouse. I drew them up in my Moleskine a few weeks ago and I think it's really interesting to see how the project has developed and what factors have contributed to those developments. Also, it's the first time I've uploaded a scan of my Moleskine - my inner thoughts - so it deserves discussion.

Here's the page from my Moleskine. I'm about 80% of the way through it now, I'm slowly running out of pages and it looks like I might finish it along with 2010, which will be nice and neat and tidy. I'm also pretty sure my parents are getting me a new one this Christmas, so I ought to finish this one before I break open the second. My sketches usually start with one big, 3D, main sketch in the top-right and then a bunch of other angles and details around the edges as my thoughts progress on the subject. Cross-sections are almost always included.


The Rødovre Townhouse started simply as an architectural feature: alternating concrete pillars and windows vertically across the face of the house. That and the northern terraced house idea were my two starting points for this sketch. And yes, I know my drawing skills aren't fantastic, but you can see what shapes I'm aiming for and I don't need a ruler for that. I then developed the design with a nice cross-section through the house - you can see that the cross-section was an important way of showing the house's details and angles, such as the angled windows looking down to the basement, so that's one of the reasons why I created the house in Lego sliced through.

One big change from the sketches to the final model is the roof. I was originally going to have windows running as skylights across the entire width of the roof, and I begun this on the model, but then I ran out of slope bricks and window pieces. That was my panic, that I sat on for a week. Then I decided it wasn't worth a BrickLink order and that the shape would be bolder without so many skylights, and just left the one that I had the pieces to create and built a normal roof across the rest of the top of the building.

The big window that there are a few sketches of there was something I really wanted to incorporate into the design, but when I tried it above the door in Lego the rules of Lego maths meant I couldn't fit in it without a gap - and even if I could've, it would've been very unstable. Trust me guys, I tried. Also in those sketches is a balcony in the main living area, a third floor accessible by the spiral staircase. Sadly I didn't have the parts to make the house tall enough to include it... it really would've helped to fit in a few more bedrooms and leave space for a bathroom downstairs, but I guess that's just the way it works out.

So there we go, for the first time I've shown you a Moleskine sketch of mine. Be prepared for a few more early next year because when I finish my Moleskine I'll scan most of it. Woop.

~John

No comments: