Friday, 17 December 2010

Day 353, on which John is on a building spree [17.12.10]

Dag tre hundrede treoghalvtreds. Woah, what a busy day today. The end of a long and eventful week, topped off this evening by a massive building spree. You know that Brick Architect Competition entry? Well, I'm back at it and I'm attacking it like there's no tomorrow. Several redesigns later, and a massive lack of dark grey and light grey parts in my collection later, it's almost done.

I'm currently in the process of moving the entire building from one baseplate, which was too big for the building and too small in some dimensions, to a custom baseplate. And believe you me, moving this beast of a house is hard work. I have to take it apart into pieces, remembering which piece goes where, then build the foundations all over again, making sure to get the stud measurements right, then plonk everything else back on top in the right formation. Tough stuff.

This is the first time I've tried something on the scale of this townhouse. Or rather, on the scale of the intricacy of this townhouse, because I think the Ishøj House base was larger than this. This one has a full cross-section of its two floors, because it's a terraced house and you wouldn't usually see the end walls unless it was at the end of the street. The interior is probably 1.5x the Ishøj House's interior (both floors combined), but they're much more complex. There's a spiral staircase, sliding walls, opening doors and much more to marvel at.

The only problem I've found is that there are no room divisions on the top floor! This is going to be a definite bummer when I'm arranging the furniture, for I'll need to fit a kitchen in there somewhere... downstairs the bedrooms, study and possibly a toilet will be located but I can't fit any more in there and to be honest it would be way too gloomy for a kitchen down there. So I'm currently thinking some sort of open-plan linving area. Just thinking. Tomorrow I'll have to make it, somehow.

Sorry 'bout the crappy post today guys,
~John

No comments: