Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Day 343, on which John writes to one of his heroes [8.12.10]

Dag tre hundrede treogfyrre. Tiring day today guys, so don't expect anything amazing from me. Well, perhaps you never do, and if that's so please continue your view of me. I watched another snippet of Ocean's Twelve last night - I've never seen it all but I often see bits here and there. It's spectacularly stylish and very cleverly edited, good work from Steven Soderbergh there - it's just a shame he doesn't maintain this high standard in all his films... *cough* The Informant! *cough*. Even so, the Ocean's films are all great, especially the one with Julia Roberts. Another character says of hers: "Wait, don't you think [she] is the spitting image of Julia Roberts!?" so she pretends to be Julia Roberts as part of their plan. Julia Roberts, playing a character, who is pretending to be Julia Roberts. It's amazing how much fun you can have if you have famous actors in your film. I really respect Roberts for that; it takes a lot of humility. That and Duplicity, she's in my good books so far.

So, I was chatting about sci-fi with a friend on the bus home (I seem to mention a lot of friends, without names, but just appreciate that I have that many and otherwise shut up), and I thought I'd write today's letter to my sci-fi writing hero, Isaac Asimov.

Dear Isaac Asimov,
You. Are. Amazing. Pretty much everything you write is brilliantly thought up, believable, and intriguingly sci-fi. Great stuff, all of it. Why do all my heroes have to go die? Yeah, I mean you, Isaac. You and Arne and Jesus. Hahaha, not Jesus. He didn't exist hence he didn't die. Arh, some people have all the luck, eh? Well, you're two feet under or another applicable metaphor, and I'm left here with all your stories to read. Not too bad, mate.

Of course, you weren't perfect. No one is, of course, and apparently we're meant to appreciate the imperfect bits of people. Well, I'll leave that to your wife, because I can't appreciate anyone's imperfections at the moment. Probably because I'm a confused teenager and I'm way too judgmental. But you admit you were a bit antisocial and a bit of an outcast. But I don't care. I don't give a flying fuck, Mr. Asimov. Because you were a genius. The three laws of robotics were brilliant, and you know what's more brilliant? You created them, then you manipulated them in the stories in I, Robot. It takes a lot to do that. To admit they're not definitive and to compile a whole book of stories you wrote about faults in the system. But I guess people always say that there's no point in a system until someone breaks it. That's something I very much believe in, a very good ethic. Manipulating systems is the only way we'll ever get anywhere.

Well, I gotta go. Good job, Mr. Asimov. Much appreciated here on JOHNSPACE.
~John

No comments: