Monday, 15 November 2010

Day 320, on which John updates the background, for the first time in forever [15.11.10]

Dag tre hundrede og tyve. Well, what a day today. Both an ordthodontist's appointment and the regular dentist afterwards. Double fun for my mouth. It was probed more than a drug mule's bowels, goddammit. No? Maybe that metaphor didn't go down so well? Much like all those drugs in that drug mule. OK, that joke went down pretty badly too. But what else is double probed? Someone with an exceptionally probable interior? It just doesn't have the same ring to it, you see.

Well, today marks a bit of an important date in this 365 project. For the first time since the start of the year (or february, at least, when I refined it), I've changed the background. The idea has always been that it would begin as the simple background it was, then would be slowly added to and adapted throughout the year. That didn't quite work out. We had the red star which announced the 365 project was in progress, and I'd intended to add a Danish postal stamp or some such graphic after I'd gone to Denmark but I just liked the background on its own.

However, everything needs to change at some point. Simple fact of life, folks. So, whilst I'm not going to take up the scrapbook idea I had at the start of the year, I'm still going to give you guys something new in terms of graphics on this wonderful blog. Haha, I said this blog was wonderful. I churn out some whopping great lies sometimes.


New banner, simplified text. No red star either, 'cause I had to start this from scratch
So I wanted to merge the banner (which covers the top width of this content section) and the background (which is the rest of the page) to create some sort of continuous image. I was flicking through my images and came across my sea horizon photo from Brighton. An ingenious idea and an hour of annoying Illustrator business later, we have the page layout that you see here (or at least, that you would see here for now. It'll change). Unfortunately the page background repeats vertically so I'm going to have to sort something out in terms of the divide between the end of the background and the start when it repeats again. I'm thinking some sort of gradient, but one that doesn't impede on the photo so you won't notice it at the top. However I do it, I don't think I can remove the sides of the image repeating further down the page. I don't know how. If you know how, let me know! Please!

Hopefully this will be the first of many seasonal images to adorn the JOHNSPACE header and background. This first one is looking a bit grainy and I may touch it up a little, but for now it'll do. Plus, I updated the Facebook logo and everything. Woop.

~John

No comments: