Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Day 293, on which John makes a stupid decision [20.10.10]

Dag to hundrede treoghalvfems. Birthday aftermath is pretty awesome actually, 'cause you get a bunch of 'happy belated birthday' remarks and you still have your Panton chair. Which I now say "night night" to every evening. Bwahaha, OK, I'm mad. Agreed. Double agreed with cherries and a cheesecake. Yuck, I don't even like cheesecake. But I like cheese. ESPECIALLY DANISH CHEESE.

So, where was I? Ah yes, that's right. I'm a totally nutter. Because I think I've decided to take part in NaNoWriMo next month. What's that? 'Nanowima'? No, it stands for National Novel Writing Month, though it's international. The idea is as follows: you start on the 1st November and have to write a novel (50,000+ words) before the end of the month. Much discussion is on the NaNoWriMo ensues, you follow others' progress, keep updating your word count, and perhaps visit some of the 'Write-ins' when you write with other NaNoWriMo-ians. Something like that, anyway.

Spiffy banner, woop
Yes, I'm a freaking maniac. I am out of my stupid mind. And thus, I am going to make a stupid decision. As well as keeping up this blog every day, and doing my GCSE work, I have a moronic notion that if I can get things together, I can do this NaNoWriMo thing. I want to do it, I really do. But every neuron of common sense in my brain tells me not to do it. Ah well, screw those boring neurons. I'm going to attempt it at least. My profile on the website is here, please follow if you're trying it too.

So what to write? That's the question that everyone needs to answer sometime before the 1st November. I have two options, well, three. The first is Cronas 13, which I'm pretty psyched about. It's not really a novel, though, and I doubt it'll hit 50,000 words (I'd be worried if it did, it's not meant to be such a lengthy tome). Plus, I've already started it and part of the fun of NaNoWriMo is starting from nothing and completing the month with a fully fledged novel.

Our second option is that I twist the rules a bit and use NaNoWriMo as a chance to write my epic play, the one about a man coming to terms with his place and meaning in the universe (y'know, that really light, frothy topic AHAHAHAHA). I'd love to actually write it, if I did it well, and whilst it's not a novel like the challenge specifies, it may well hit 50,000 words in the script. I could still count it (Celtx, my scriptwriting app, has a word count), so it would still work in theory... but am I ready to write it? That's another matter. Can I do it well? It's not a story I can just churn out, regardless of the quality. It's got to be top-notch. Higher-than-top-notch, if possible.

Our third option, ladies and gents, is thus: write a totally new story. Not a script, not an internet drama story thang, but a proper, block-text, 50,000-word novel. It's a much more menacing prospect than the other two, but it's more appropriate to the challenge. The only problem is that my mind is totally blank in terms of novel ideas; I have a few other screenplay concepts, but not novels. They wouldn't work as novels. So I'm stumped if I choose this option.

Three options. Which do I choose? I have no idea at the moment. Comments with advice would be helpful, if you're offering.

~John

1 comment:

Zack said...

Glad to here since I'm working on a fantasmical story for World Lit. right now.