Friday, 8 October 2010

Day 281, on which John chats about architecture [8.10.10]

Dag to hundrede enogfirs. Sorry about the late post today, guys, I was at my drama club thing until 9:30, then watched 8 Out of 10 Cats, and now I've finally dragged myself upstairs to write a quick blog. So please excuse me if this is uninteresting and/or short. I haven't written it yet so we'll have to find out...

Architecture is something I've only recently become properly interested in. Before, it's been a slight interest but with my visit to Denmark and the Ishøj House, architecture has been more to the foreground of my current interests (which is hard, considering it has furniture design, photography and graphic design to compete with). I have one problem with it: there's a general feeling in my school that being an architect means 6 years of training and then a low salary. Whilst this may be true, it's not stopped my interest in architecture; just prevented me from considering it as a career.

Also, architecture has become known only for industrial or commercial architecture. Industrial architecture is to architecture what my hated 'design' is to proper design. It's a watered down version; where people have no ambitions and never try anything interesting. The sort of architecture that created boring council flats and thousands of mock-Victorian 21st century suburban houses. The sort of architecture which is killing what should be known as architecture: art. Even Arne Jacobsen mentioned something about "if architecture is not art, then it is not architecture". And boy, was he right.

So henceforth I will call this plague-like industrial architecture 'architecture' (in inverted commas), to relate it to 'design'. It saddens me to see it take over, and my peers at school saying 'I want to be an architect', though not because they want to create beautiful buildings. They have no idea who Le Corbusier was, or what differentiates Edwardian architecture from Victorian architecture. They don't care. They just want to make the blueprints for boring buildings all their lives. Square buildings. 'Architecture'.

Perhaps this is what will happen to design in the next few decades... I hope not.

~John

2 comments:

Karrde said...

There is over six and a half billion people on this earth, not all architecture can be art.

John said...

Good point, but it's a proven fact that using good-looking design is more efficient that using ugly design. So, does the same apply to architecture? Will well-designed, good looking buildings be more efficient to live in?