Saturday, 25 September 2010

Day 268, on which John gets back to that photography thing [25.9.10]

Dag to hundrede otteogtres. Well, here we are, saturday. Great stuff. Not feeling so great myself, though. Didn't get up until 1:00, and not because I'm a tired teenager (though I am that too), but because I was sleeping off my flu/stress (fless? stru?). I guess that's why. I usually don't wake up so late. But lucky me for  getting the sleep, I guess.

Good news; I managed to write a good chunk of Cronas 13, which I know you're all very interested in (hahaha sarcasm right there). I haven't written it in a few days, and I want to get it done as soon as possible. So, yes, much progress being made. Much progress on the various scenes (one character just killed himself very dramatically, whilst starting a whole bunch of new mysteries), but not so much if you think about how much I've got to go until the end. Two thirds of the way there, I'd say. The hardest thing is that, as I progress further into the story, each section takes longer to write because I've got to refer back more and more, and they're ending up being longer. Yeesh.

ps. Please watch this. It's Hoppípolla, by Sigur Rós, an Icelandic band. You've certainly heard it before, Icelandic or not. In fact, I think the Icelandic lyrics really contribute to the feel of the song. Watch watch watch... and listen, of course!

Okies, we're still on the photography topic, don't forget, so I found this British photograher Daniel Freytag via the awesome blog It's Nice That.

One of his sets, called 'Recreational Area', is very interesting. Let's check it out:

I love the framing of this shot, the negative space where there's no swing on the left, and the one swing is pushed to the other side, as if trying to get away from the space.  It almost feels like a portrait of the swings; straight-on, no interruptions or trickery. Also, no post-production. Very bland.
Freytag's motif is finding the interesting amidst the uninteresting, and he's done exactly that here. The bin seems so out of place, so badly thought up, yet lonely in its bright colour in the faded grass and boring trees (that are in every photo in this set). There seems to be some sort of wit, or irony, with the bin being bright yellow, when the actual metal bin is outsized and ugly in comparison.
I originally thought all three of these shots had been shot against the same trees, but in fact they've not; the backgrounds just look very similar. That forces you to look at the objects, and disregard the backdrop. The important thing is that there's no one in any of the photos; no children using the swing, or the seesaw. The colours are fading - trying hard to stand out - but time is dragging them away. These are snapshots of a moment, because before long these will be gone. Yet it seems to be somehow out of time - there's no concentration on movement, or what year it is. It's not important. Perhaps the objects will sit there eternally, on their own, unused.
Well, that's all for now. Adios!

~John

No comments: