Saturday, 4 September 2010

Day 247, on which John talks floating homes [4.9.10]

Dag to hundrede syve og fyrre. I think I actually got some stuff done today. Yeah, homework and the 'necessaries', but I also managed to build a bit, and not build too badly too. Also, I wrote quite a few parts of a story I'm working on, one to be illustrated in Lego. I must have mentioned it before, it's called Cronas Thirteen, but I haven't added to it for months. I was re-reading it this afternoon, realised I had a few hours free, and got to work adding to it. I got really into it, one of the characters dies in it and I wanted to make it emotional as possible. Hopefully, if I have time tomorrow, I'll write more. It's nowhere near finished, but I can at least write a sizable chunk of it this weekend so I can get back to it more easily in the future. It'll be a while before I build it though, that's way off.

Floating homes. What does that mean to you? Probably very little. Maybe it means a boat with all the amenities of home stored aboard. Maybe it means a canal boat. Well, what if you could actually have a home that floated on the surface of a lake? You could use it as a summer home, perhaps. Well, architect Daniel Andersson has your ideal home right here:


I know, right? Awesome! It's called The Iceberg, and it's a floating house that you can put out on a lake. It gets electricity from cables in the bed of the lake, and has everything you need to have a great summer house on the lake. Boat not included, of course.

I absolutely love the shape of The Iceberg. It's sharp, sleek and Scandinavian. My three favourite S-words. The fact that this photo has shown people and a boat interacting with the architecture just makes it that much better. I'm all about interaction, and it's great to see the roof become more than a roof, and not just 'the bit that stops it raining on us'. As for safety regulations, I think we'll stay away from them. It's very open-plan, as well, which you'd need because being inside a small room in a floating house could be very claustrophobic.

This diagram shows the floor plan of The Iceberg. You can see there's ample room for everything you'd expect in a house. I especially like the short flights of stairs, like between the living room and the dining room. It divides the rooms from each other, yet still keeps the building open-plan, and you can see out from the kitchen or dining room too. People underestimate the power of putting many 'rooms' in one room. They should merge, but still be distinct from each other.

I tried something like that in the Ishøj House, with only one wall separating the bedroom, kitchen, dining room and hallway. That was appropriate for the Ishhøj House because it meant the windows at each end made a single shaft under the hood of the roof. It's meant to be a very linear house. The banks of windows let a lot of light in to totally engulf the interior, as if you're sheltering under a bridge and you're still open to the elements at each end.

~John

No comments: