Sunday, 25 July 2010

Day 206, on which John apologises for yesterday [24.7.10]

Dag to hundrede og seks. Yeah yeah, sorry about missing yesterday's post. I know I shouldn't get complacent with this blog, and I shouldn't take missing days lightly, but there was no way to blog yesterday. Well, actually, I could have blogged at 1:00 before I left to rehearse for my second performance, but I always like to do it at the end of the day so I can summarise the latest 24 hours in my life. I also didn't realise that the after-party (which is always held after the final performance of a play) would go on for as long as it did. So, by the time I got home at 1:00 this morning, I don't think there would have been much point in blogging for yesterday.

The big news of today is that the Bricks in Motion Avant-Garde competition deadline has passed. Every year, Bricks in Motion (the main Brickfilming website) holds a big competition. This one was announced back in September last year, so Brickfilmers had a long time to prepare. So, lo and behold, the first entry I've so far seen, The Magician by Zach Macias:



Read my full review of it here on Brickspace. Hold tight for some discussion about the competition.

By avant-garde, Philip Heinrich (BiM admin) meant pushing the boundaries of both filmmaking and Brickfilming. It means going outside of anything anyone has done before. Breaking the mold of filmmaking techniques and plot formats. Unfortunately, Zach Macias has here provided us with an example of an adequate entry. There's nothing new to it; bricks-in-time-with-music has been done before, and the whole 'infinite expanse' concept well has been well and truly sucked dry by everyone else.

Seriously, guys, I want to see something revolutionary. A touching, heartwarming Brickfilm drama. Something that will make me sympathise with the characters. Something that will make me cry. Something that could stand up against normal films. Something with a twisting, intricate plot that drags you in and doesn't let go.

Please?


~John

No comments: