Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Day 201, on which John watches Juno [20.7.10]

Dag to hundred og én. Well, here we are. Day 201. Yours truly continuing to blog, going for gold (or at least Day 300). So, I guess we'd better get on with it, since this 365 project is gonna be around for longer than you would have thought. That is, of course, if you thought it would end at Day 200. If you thought it would end at Day 365, then you're correct, it won't go any longer than that. Unless, in some crazy state of delirium, I decide to carry on for another year. Let this be a lesson to you, future John: please, don't.

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of the cult film Juno. Made back in 2008, it's about the story of a teenage girl called Juno (Ellen Paige) and how she deals with her sudden underage pregnancy, her douchey boyfriend, and the dysfunctional adoptive soon-to-be parents of the baby.

OK OK, don't hit me. This ain't no drippy drama. It's no chick-flick, it's no full-out comedy like Knocked Up. It's a very well made mixture of all three. The reason why it's a cult movie is because it's packed full of great sequences. The title sequence, for instance, using sketch cartoons as Juno walks through her town, has seen parodies appear all over YouTube. Also, the format of dividing the film into seasons, then having the name of the season appear in big, sketchy-font letters as a title. I must have seen at least five separate rip-offs of that font available on free font websites.

So, style aside, what makes Juno such a good film? I think it has everything to owe to the script. It's written by a blogger called Diablo Cody (I know, right?), and the dialogue is quick, witty and fantastic. It's smooth, to-the-point, and perfectly expresses each of the character's unique personalities. Juno, especially, talks in a unforgettable 'noughties-cool-talk' vocabulary, with references to popular culture all over the place. Then there's Juno's rather naïve, wimpy 'boyfriend', played in the usual fashion by Michael Cera. Cera, as I mentioned, acts in his usual way, which here is exaggerated quite a bit to show just how awkward he is, especially when finding out he's made Juno pregnant (she tells him she's going to get an abortion, and he says "well that's wizard!").

The rest of the cast is sprinkled with famous actors, notably Jennifer Garner as the control-freak wife who will adopt Juno's baby. Her and her wants-to-go-back-to-his-days-of-being-in-a-rock-band husband make up an excellent pair of characters that really made the film for me. Of course, it's not without its flaws (missed out a few loose ends at the end, which we kinda need to see), but the final scene is satisfying enough to iron them out. D'aww, I'm such a sucker for sentimentality.


~John

2 comments:

Matn said...

I saw it a week ago for the first time, and I also enjoyed it very much. It's just a really nice film and I also liked everything about it. :)

I'm looking forward to Scott Pilgrim versus the World. A whole other film, but with Michael Cera.

John said...

Yeah, the trailer for Scott Pilgrim versus the World looks amazing - it's one action film that I really want to see, and not only because it has something resembling a plot.

With every new film I see him in, I like Michael Cera more and more. He's really found himself a niche market ;)