Friday, 9 July 2010

Day 190, on which John's week ends [9.7.10]

Dag hundrede og halvfems. They think it's all over... it is now! The week has ended! Or, at least, the weekend is here. That means I can breathe a sigh of relief; all my Film Club and school play and end-of-year things are over. From now on it's just school trips. Oh yeah about that - I won't be able to blog next week until friday, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it. Either I write some blog posts by hand while I'm there then blog them when I get back, or use a friend's internet connection, or just not blog at all. We'll see.

I've been thinking about something recently: what constitutes creativity? How can you tell who's artistic and who isn't? Apparently it's hard for 'non creatives' to pick out 'creatives', but isn't this all some sort of strange segregation? It'd end in prejudice, but the naming of the split between 'non creatives' and 'creatives' is not how I'd like it.

Yes, I think I'm creative. But what about artistic? Well, art is all about expressing yourself. I have a friend who does just that: he's hit by sudden, overwhelming emotions and takes to the canvas to express these feelings. But I don't work like that - I don't have those extremes of mood that he has. In a way, it means I may not be able to create something as emotionally charged as what he produces. But in another way, I kinda like the way I am - it's Scandinavian. Whilst the Italians and Spanish are very emotional and dramatic, the more formal Scandinavians aren't expressive in that way. Yes, that's kind of annoying (Scandinavian romance would be much less dramatic), but in a way it helps me to find a way for my style of creating to be OK. And plus, it makes me more Danish.

For the record: I'm not actually Danish. If you really want to know about my ancestry, it's predominantly English, with some Irish and Czech mixed in. No Danes there. But I'm a Dane at heart, and I know it. Yay.


~John

No comments: