Thursday, 8 July 2010

Day 189, on which John is tired and can't think of anything particularly interesting to say [8.7.10]

Dag hundrede nioghalvtreds. Yar, this be a tough week. And yar, I be aware that it be endin' soon. Tomarrow, even. So, nart so bad. Enough pirate voices. So what's new? I've got another email on Flickr asking for my permission to use the JOHN Collection furniture; I love getting those. Makes me feel proud, like I've created an archive that people can use. Yay yay yay.

It's amazing how much people change in a year, isn't it? Just saying.

OK, onto a bit of art. Just a bit. For this post, I thought I'd take a look at some of the work from Stefan Sagmeister, a famous graphic designer. I searched for him on Google and guess what? The link to his Wikipedia page was already dark; I'd already been on it! Trust me to have already looked at his Wiki page, hee hee.



Sagmesiter is a big fan of handwriting and using calligraphy instead of pre-designed fonts. He argues that, with handwriting, you can have much more customisation and convey much more emotion and feeling. One of his most famous examples of this is his poster for his AIGA lecture in Cranbrook, Michigan, where he got one of his students (he has a group of assistants who make up Sagmeister, Inc) to sketch the details of the lecture into his skin with a knife of some sort. It's real, believe me; Sagmeister mentions it in his interview for the movie Helvetica. The actual poster can be seen above. It really shows how devoted to graphic design an artist can be. Interesting, no?


~John

No comments: