Saturday, 3 July 2010

Day 183, on which John tries to persuade you guys that a chair can be art [3.7.10]

Dag hundrede fireoghalvtreds. Ah, the weekend. My saviour from the trials of a busy week. Shame I have to wait five days for another one to come around. Though, I must say I got some stuff done today: I have created a modular landscaping concept for an upcoming MOC. The classic 6x6 baseplate, but with some other stuff in it. Should be really good, if I can make enough modules. I seem to be in a modular mood recently, I'm trying to achieve a modular kitchen for JCiii.

Hold on, don't give me that face. This isn't a chair - it's art. Well, yeah, it is a chair, but it's also art.


It was designed as part of the De Stijl art movement back in the 1920s. This is Gerrit Rietveld's distinctive Red and Blue chair, one of my favourite pieces of art I've ever seen (of course, who knows what better pieces of art the future will bring my way). You should recognise a certain Mondriaan-ness to it: both Mondriaan and Rietveld were close friends with Van Doesburg, the creator of the De Stijl movement. It's all the same style.

So why is this great? It's because of the relationship between function and form. The chair maintains its De Stijl, modular, geometric form whilst keeping its function. It's like there are these two infinite planes, red and blue, that are almost floating, held by a lattice of yellow-tipped poles. And, somehow, this delicate structure comes together to create a seat. It's how Rietveld has created function out of pure artistic form that has made this chair one of my faves.

See? First art post of the 20-day challenge. Yay!

~John

No comments: