Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Day 180, on which John briefly covers the L-word for the sake of perfection [29.6.10]

Dag hundrede og firs. Okey dokey, onto today's post. In a sec. Until then, tinkly elevator music and light refreshments. TINKLE TINKLE TINKLE, DEE DUM DEE DUM DEE DUM. DUM DA DUM DA TATATATA DING. You've arrived at your stop. Hoorah. Let's get out and start with this awkward post.

As you know, I'm doing a series on philosophy. As this is the last post of that topic, I decided to leave the hardest theme 'til last. You can't do a philosophy series without talking about love, one of the most philosophical topics there is.

The funny thing about love is that it's so 'spiritual'. There's no physical part of it at all, love (not reproduction, kids) is all in the mind. All in the 'soul', hence 'soulmates'. Now, this is where it starts to get debatable. You see, believing that the mind is a seperate, spiritual extension to the physical body is a very religious philosophy.

So where do I stand, as the scientific dude I am? Well, I can only call love a biological feeling. Do I think it has any meaning higher than that? No, it's just to do with us. Do I think that is should have any meaning higher than that? No, it can't. Does this make me not care about it? No, I still care about it. We all do.

I haven't been in love, I'll give you that, but I guess we'd all like to be at some point. The fact that I think it's simply a biological thing doesn't dent this. It can't, then there'd be no point in life. So how do I keep living happily? Very easily, thank you. And plus, I haven't had any experience of love in that way as of yet, so I can't say much about it.

Awkward topic = over. Day = over. John = tired.


~John

No comments: