Monday, 28 June 2010

Day 179, on which John says "don't worry, be happy!" [28.6.10]

Dag hundrede nioghalvfjerds. I hate mondays. Well, we all do, but I just wanted to say that I concur. Mondays suck. They suck almost as much as a vacuum cleaner. Whilst we're on the topic, can I just remind you all that it's vacuum cleaner, not hoover. Hoover is a brand name, so don't go calling your Dyson a Hoover; that's disrespectful. Plus, Dysons whoop Hoovers any day. So call it a Dyson instead.

Why Dyson is better: Air multiplier™ fans. Did I mention I get very attached to companies?


OK, onto our topic of the day. Every religion has its own teachings on the nature of evil, and why bad things happen. But what do you think? Everyone has an opinion on it. You'd think that, if life were the best that it could be, then everything would be good. That's the Christian feeling on it.

Some people simply find a way of looking on the bright side - having a way of thinking that all the bad things that happen must be worth it for some reason, or can be ignored somehow. I'm one of those people. Here's my take on the subject:

Bad things happen. There's nothing we can do to stop them from happening, because life is full of ups and downs and what comes up must come down. Therefore, I try to appreciate the 'up' parts as much as I can, knowing that they're only there to be different from the 'low' parts. When the 'low' parts happen, I try to tell myself that they happen, and that this means that there should be an 'up' part happening soon because of it. Now, I don't believe that there is a direct equality between the ups and the downs; if there's a big down, I don't believe there will be an equally big up. All I know is that both bad things and good things happen, and that they both come to an end. So, when a bad thing happens, all I need to do is wait.

How do you guys view this topic? Comment below!

~John

No comments: