Thursday, 24 June 2010

Day 175, on which John salivates over the new Flickr [24.6.10]

Dag hundrede fireoghalvfjerds. Mmmmm, a new Flickr. OK, not that much has changed, but the layout is wider and the photo page has changed quite a bit. Do I like it? Yeah! Whilst the 'enbiggened' map isn't really my main interest, the layout is clearer and the Lightbox function is really useful, but sadly it means Decluttr and Big Huge Labs are out of a job, heh heh. So a combination of those changes plus my final GCSE exam of the year meant this was a good day. Then my internet crashed and it wasn't so good. Grr.


Okey dokey, I've got some illustrations to show you. When I get bored, I open a blank Fireworks document, and let my mind carry me away to whatever weird graphics I may make.

Weird graphic numero uno comes from inspiration - the webcomic Toothpaste for Dinner. The idea was my own, but the format is very similar to TfD. There is a kind of in-joke here, when the company that makes Jaffa Cakes had some dispute over whether they were biscuits or cakes. Whilst I'm not sure of the exact details, I think cakes are taxed less or get classified differently, but either way the company wanted Jaffa Cakes to be cakes. So, maybe tax could be even less if they were classed as ambiguous products?


Our next high-quality (ahahahahahaha funny) graphic was inspired by the song Electric Eel by MGMT. I was in the stick figure mood, and I was listening to the song (for some reason ANR won't work on iTunes boo hoo) and thought I'd make a graphic of some of the lyrics. Impulse, y'know?

My mind is a very strange place, folks. Crazy things abound on the lilac hills of John's imagination. So, for some reason, I had the idea for this cartoon strip. Also, I was looking back at an old post on the blog, where I had created a crazy story with my sister. I think it's in September 2008, go check.


I apologise for any insania caused.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

~John

2 comments:

Matn said...

I don't like the new Flickr. I've liked all the new designs of big sites, but not this one. It isn't compact anymore, the thing I liked most of Flickr.
And I'm suprised how much emotions a peeled banana can show.

John said...

Matn; I agree with you. After using it for a few days, the new Flickr seems colder, much more efficient. And with efficiency, Flickr's lost its soft touch, and its humour. It's just become application-like.