Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Day 174, on which John gives the wind another brush [23.6.10]

Dag hundrede fireoghalvfjerds. My last GCSE exam of the year is tomorrow, hooray! Plus, it's at 1:00 so I get the morning off, and most of the afternoon too. Finally, these will all be over and I think I will reward myself with a nice big BrickLink order, plus some Shop@Home sets too. Like a thank-you from John to John. The next few weeks are going to be tough, though, I have a load of deadlines and events to remember. I'd use iCal, but I tried that a few months ago and ran out of steam. I knew I should have got one of those wind-up computers.



So now for some more work from Eduardo Chillida. This is one of the three massive metal pieces which makes up The Comb of the Wind, which we discussed briefly yesterday. But what do I think it is meant to represent? I think it's very hard to get one clear message from it. To me, it's a hand. Reaching out of the landscape, yearning to get at the seat. The one in the background is yearning to fly; to escape to the sky. Perhaps it's about the Earth escaping, having seen the sea splashing up against its shores for thousands of years and trying to get to it. The heavy metal shapes show the power of the landscape, and how spindly the 'fingers' are in comparison. Maybe this means that they can never reach the sea, because the hands are too weak.


Our second art review is of another of Chillida's sculptures. I'm not sure what this one's called, but it's situated at Parc de la Creuta del Coll. This one's just spellbinding, how the massive concrete shape hovers above the ground, suspended in mid-air. Even the fact that you can see the supports adds to the awe generated by the fact that what is obviously a hand floating. I just wonder what the surface below the hand is, and whether people are allowed to freely walk on it and interact with the hand. Hmm.


~John

No comments: