Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Day 160, on which John takes a sudden interest in a Norwegian power station[9.6.10]

Dag hundrede og tres. So, today was pretty good. Luckily, due to strange timetabling of GCSE exams, I had the morning off and then I only had to come in for the exam for an hour, and then I could go home again. Sure, the UK's examining system is always criticised, but from where I'm standing (sitting, as it happens), it's pretty good!


OK, so I have an interest. A sudden spark of inspiration that requires that I need info about an obscure power station in Norway. Whilst I don't expect you to know about it, I figured I'd talk about my idea, without giving too much away.

This is a photo of the entrance to the Kvilldal power station in Suldal, Norway, which was featured on Wallpaper* magazine last December. Yes, it's in Norway, but a power station tucked in a fjord wouldn't really work in Denmark. Firstly, for the reason that there are no fjords - so no places to hide power stations - and secondly because it doesn't really reflect the mood of the country. The impression I get is that Denmark is the fun, crazy place in Scandinavia, and - as I read in a book somewhere (so not my quote) - the Swedes are a bit more formal, a bit more upright; the Norwegians are like the Scots to Brits; and Finland is 'the autistic brother' of Scandinavia, ie. detached and not like the others.

Hence, a power station in the middle of towering Norwegian trees and tucked into a stunning fjord landscape is much more Norwegian than Danish. I'm sure I'll be able to stick some Denmark references into it, but for the most part, the story I'll be making up about Kvilldal will be set in Norway. It's ideal for the rough, industrial feel of the style of the 'story'. I can't tell you too much about it now, because it's top-secret, but hopefully I'll develop the idea. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling I'm going to need photos of the power station, and that means going there.

Damn, why do all my ideas turn out so complicated?

~John

1 comment:

Karrde said...

will the characters in the story all be kvilled?








I'm so ashamed of myself...