Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Day 152, on which John watches an odd film [1.6.10]

Dag hundrede tooghalvfjerds. Well, pinch, punch, first of the month! It's the first of June, and we all know what that means - the monthly letter! Before we get onto that, I'll explain the odd film. It's called Synecdoche, New York (Si-nec-doc-ee), and it's seriously weird. Very uncomfortable watching, claustrophobic, close and certainly surreal. There's one character who buys a house that's on fire; not blazing, but still on fire and with smoke everywhere. She buys it like that, and we see her in its smoke-filled rooms several times afterwards. Weird! Nonetheless, it's intriguing so far. I haven't finished watching it yet...

Philip Seymour Hoffman (right) and someone else in Synecdoche, New York

OK, the monthly letter! Here's the lowdown: every month, I write a letter to myself: myself in one month's time, and also in reply to my letter the last month. Check out last month's letter to make some sense of this.


Dear Me/Myself/I,

Hola amigo! Long time no see - though I guess that's 'cause I don't look into the mirror much. Always avoid doing that, remember. Unless you have some massive spot on your face. In that case, evade your eyes from... er... pleh, forget this train of thought.

Well firstly, you can shut up about your three-day weekend, past self. I've got a seven day weekend right here, and that's excluding next weekend. So hah. Hah hah hah. I guess I won't be in the same position next month - we'll have to see. Listening to Glee, are you? This week's episode wasn't so good. But wow, that Lady Gaga acoustic remix... pretty awesome. So it seems I'm in exactly the same place as you, sitting at my computer, but for some reason Kesha's crept back into my playlist so she's playing in my earphones. Hmm, I wonder who added her songs to my Spotify? *looks away*

Right, responses from last month. Yeah, I don't think my exams went too badly. Some low points, some highs, but that's life, right? Of course, there's more to come. Did I build Pirate? Well, not really. By which I mean, no. No I didn't. But I did just build something with rocks, so I'm making use of the grey slopes that cost me so much. And no, I haven't considered buying CS5.

OK, my goals for the 1st June? Don't be a dick. I don't know why I'm saying that, but it just seemed right. Do that thing, too. That you want to do but you're too scared to do. No, not jump off a building! That other thing - yeah, that one. Also, enjoy the summer. I know we don't like hot weather, but it's got to be liked by other people for some reason! And use the word 'pare' more. I really like it.

Until then, you keep those limbs in check - as always, don't lose them. Play well!

~Me


Okies, see you guys tomorrow! *Zzzz*

~John

No comments: