Saturday, 15 May 2010

Day 135, on which John develops a raging cold [15.5.10]

Dag hundrede og femogtredive. As always, the post title tells the truth. After some sniffles yesterday, I woke up today in the midst of a blazing war between my sinuses and the common cold. Feck, to say the least. I might as well just write my revision notes on tissues. I would have been more productive.


OK, I promised a design rant yesterday, and due to my running out of time, it was shortened quite a bit. So let's get back to the Double House in Stuttgart by Le Corbusier. Usually I don't like any type of design other than from Scandinavia (and the odd Dutch pieces), but Le Corbusier, a Swiss designer and architect, has piqued my interest with his contribution to the Stuttgart estate. All houses and furniture in the estate were designed by Bauhaus students, including Le Corbusier.

Anyways, today's picture shows the interior of the Double House. It, like I've been preaching to you for the past week, uses a flexible living space. Le Corbusier pushed all the 'functional' rooms to the sides of the house. He divided the rooms into the 'served' and the 'serving'. So, the servants would be serving the owners. The servants would reside in the kitchen, laundry room, etc etc. The owners wouldn't want these utilitarian rooms to impede on their luxurious living space, and so the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom/any other room that wasn't for leisure were pushed to the edges of the floor layout.

Behind that red panel in the picture is a large bedroom: the whole red/grey panel can be slid into the wall to allow for a seamless joint between the living space and bedroom. This means the residents can incorporate the added space of the bedroom (which is sparsely furnished) into their living space. Another bed slides out from the bottom drawer in the grey cabinet on the right to make further use of the large central space. Not too bad for a Swiss designer.

Challenge, challenge, challenge. Life's a challenge. School's a challenge. Every day a struggle, a point to reach, to strive for, to hope for; the end of the day. A time when you can collapse into your bed and watch as the stresses of the day get sucked away into the comfy cushion and duvet. A time when the challenge is fulfilled, and though you always knew the end of the day was going to come around, you feel happy that what you've done in the day justifies your achievement of sleep.
Oh, wait, I'm meant to be talking about the daily challenge thing. I did revise this time, so that's yesterday's challenge ticked off. The challenge for tomorrow is hereby declared: to be satisfied. Whether I do more revision or not, I want to be satisfied at the end of the weekend. Then maybe monday will feel better.

No comments: