Thursday, 13 May 2010

Day 133, on which John feels tired and not much else comes to mind when writing the post title [13.5.10]

Dag hundrede og treogtredive. Yah, I think that the post title pretty much sums up today. After preparing for the screening and then filming a school play until late into last night, I think I deserve a rest until I start my first set of GCSEs next week. Unfortunately, as life would have it, I've got another damn day at school to go. Grr.


I mentioned yesterday that I was going to look up the Philadelphia experiment. A friend of mine told me about it, and I was intrigued so took a gander at the Wikipedia page. Here's the lowdown on this conspiracy theory:

In 1943, in the midst of WW2, the American government performed a series of experiments on the USS Eldridge (above). These involved Einstein's Unified Field Theory, which has not ever been proven or even tested. The idea was to user electromagnetic fields to bend light around the Eldridge, which was residing in Philadelphia harbour, and render it invisible. Unfortunately, the experiment didn't go quite to plan and the ship disappeared in a 'greenish fog'. When the ship returned, several crew members had strangely appeared on a different deck to where they were before, and some reported seeing some sort of vortex or portal whilst the ship was invisible. All sailors suffered from nausea. One man reportedly found himself, when the ship appeared back again, with his hand embedded in the hull of the ship.

Later that year, after a few tweaks and re-calibrations, the experiment was tried again. This time, the ship vanished from the dock in a flash of blue light and sightings of it were reported in Virginia, over 200 miles away. It sat there for a while, then disappeared from Virginia and appeared back in Philadelphia. There are many stories of side effects on the sailors: sailors being fused to bulkheads, some crew disappearing for days at a time, and a particular story about two ex-Eldridge sailors who walked into a bar in New York and both spontaneously combusted.

So there you have it, folks. The Philadelphia experiment. And it's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read. Sure, it would be awesome if it happened, but there's no possible way it could be true. Even Wikipedia treats it as lore. Shame. Would make a great movie, though.

Challenge from yesterday is duly completed. Challenge for tomorrow? Hmmm. To write my blog post at some time before 11:00. Because even I respect my sleeping patterns sometimes.


~John

No comments: