Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Day 110 (18.04.10)

Dag hundrede og ti. Back to school today. It's funny how I feel like I've been back at school for ages, when actually it's only been a day. It's surprising how quickly I've got back into the routine. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad, really. Anyways, the day wasn't too bad. There were a couple of people not there because they're stuck in Spain, or Florida, or wherever. In fact, even the headteacher was stuck somewhere. And I still had to come to school? Unfair is only an understatement.


Today's graphic is, sorry guys, typography-based. We'll get back to architecture sometime, promise. It was either this or more chairs, so at least I was thinking of you when I chose this. After I saw that film Helvetica, I can't stop seeing Helvetica used absolutely everywhere. It's really bloody annoying. The easiest to spot is the unique leg on the capital R. You can also tell Helvetica by the horizontal terminals (stroke endings) on the lowercase e, c and a. Plus there's the 'beautiful' counter (empty space) in the lowercase a. And, don't forget the boring uppercase Q and double-joint on the uppercase K. So now it won't just be me who's got this damn font stuck in their head (I accidentally wrote font instead of head there. Fuck, Helvetica is taking over my life).

What's changed today? Well, I've learned something. I knew it ages ago when I saw the film, but now I am sure that it's true. I was always a bit divided about Helvetica: I thought it was just over-used and so forcefully made to be the 'perfect' font. Now, though, I'm not so sure. Everything typeset in it just seems so right. So here's my realisation: as caps lock is cruise control for cool, Helvetica is cruise control for AWESOME.

~John

3 comments:

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke said...

Alternatively, to spot helvetica, you could:
a) Get a life
b) Use a helvetica card

Zack said...

Um, okay I'm off to get a life full of wonderful things! Lalalala...

John that was certainly interesting. I'd like to see a few of these posts break the mold of you norm though. It seems like there is a lot about architecture and fonts, but lets see something really out of the box from you. Great post other than the repetitiveness of images.