Monday, 29 March 2010

Day 088 (29.03.10)

Dag otteogfirs. I'm pretty sure 88 is something do to with the Devil, or something evil. I'd 'Wikipedia it' but then it makes me feel bad for having to research it. Meh, I'm either right or I'm not. Anyways, onto today. Well, I had my Mock GCSE (I remember mentioning that a few days ago...), and it went alright. So I'm pleased in that respect. I'm also pleased because it's the end of term very VERY soon. I'm also pleased (in a sadistic kind of way) that I've completely got over the troubles of yesterday evening. It wasn't very hard - which bothers me a little - but I'm over it now.


OK, onto more interesting topics. Or at least, I hope they are more interesting. Whilst I've not been able to find a picture of the original Eame Indoor/Outdoor recliner, I have managed to pick out a picture of the latest version of it that is clean and shows the shape well. It may have a sharp angle in the middle, but the Eames recliner (#121) simply says 'stylish.'. Sure, I don't care for the ottoman/table much (too flat for my liking), but the combination of shapes and materials sure does work well in the chair. It's that smooth handle on the back that does it for me.

Now hey, what's this? Some sort of old-fashioned chair? Yeah, it is. Though, as you'd probably guess, I'm not showcasing this chair for its looks. Modern is more my style. Anyways, this is the "No. 14" wooden chair from Michael Thonet. It was the chair that launched chair production into being industrial. The No.14 was perfect for populating churches all over the world, and houses for that matter. Previous ways of bending wood involved using glue, but that melted in hot climates, which wasn't very helpful for a new Church set up by missionaries in Mozambique.

So Thonet created a new way of bending wood, using steam. This meant it wouldn't melt. Another great feature of this chair is the fact that 52 of them can fit in a space of 1 cubic metre (provided they're taken apart, but they are easily assembled with screws). So well done, Michael Thonet. It's no wonder this is the biggest selling chair of all time (>50 million units sold). Oh, and thank you to that book about the Vitra Design archives from my school library. Very interesting stuff.


~John

3 comments:

Zack said...

I think the devil number is 66, but 88 is close enough.

Who knew someone could talk about furniture for so long. Have you considered interior design?

Karrde said...

Eighty eight, two fat ladies - I always thought.

John said...

Ha ha, thanks guys. I knew the devil number is 66, I was just unsure whether 88 was something bad too (not being religious doesn't help in this area).