Saturday, 20 March 2010

Day 079 (20.03.10)

Dag nioghalvfjerds. Day seventy-nine, and my Bricklink order still hasn't turned up. Anyways, there were more important things that happened today. Such as; I took part in a drama festival. I didn't win, but it was fun to take part nonetheless. And besides, I had a Shakespeare part to learn - it's just not the same as an ordinary script. You lose track of the meaning of the words, and start to see them as more of a collection of words and form rather than a fully understandable sentence. But, luckily, I remembered all my lines. Just not all of my cues - whoops.


Today was another typography day. I started looking at the website of type foundry Hoefler & Frere-Jones, who are the creators of some amazing typefaces. You may know of Didot, and Mac users will recognise Hoefler Text, as it comes with every new Mac. H&FJ also make a truly beautiful slab serif typeface, called Archer (see picture). Archer is not your usual slab serif - it's got a soft, friendly look to it that is a result of elegant squirls (new word) on the terminals (ends of lines in a letterform) and a much more curved shape to most letters (notice the miniscule Z in the picture). This is certainly a far cry from the geometric lines and 90˚ angles of Lubalin Graph. And yet, I'm not sure which one I like better.

Oh, and did I mention Archer has the best Eth (ð) I've ever seen?

OK, onto something totally different. I think I should design a make a table. or maybe a chair. Or maybe both. No, wait, chairs are hard. You have to make sure they can take a whole person's weight. And they're a lot harder to design. So maybe, a table is the way to go. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it, but I can dream at least.


Adios,
~John

No comments: