Wednesday, 24 February 2010

Day 055 (24.02.10)

Dag femoghalvtreds. A momentous occasion, for the fifth time now we have a day number which is a double-number. Hah, so not-so-momentous. Actually, kinda dull. I'm running out of interesting occasions to make up and thus trick myself into thinking that almost every day is a 'momentous occasion'. That way I feel like I'm achieving something. Yay.

Now, I think I may just lapse into very deep topics. On the nature of religion. Now look, I'm not going to blab on about how I'm atheist - I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find many an atheist comment around Flickr from me. I am perfectly happy with people being religious, I'm not an exclusivist atheist or anything like that. I believe that people should really believe in whatever they want, though of course I believe that what they're believing in is untrue. That doesn't make me hate them! I don't hate you 'cause you're a Christian. I go to a Church of England school; I can't object to religious people. You don't need to be Christian to go to my school, but there are lots of religious people there and you can sometimes get funny looks if you say 'Oh my God', or, as I tend to say more and more now: "Jesus Christ!".

But let me tell you what I do object to. The 'missionaries'. It seems to be part of the Christian psyche to want to convert others. Only some Christians do this, I do understand that, and I am not against those who do. It just gets on my nerves. I'm sure you're really happy with your religion. I'm happy that you're happy with it. I just don't want you to try and sell it to me. Every now and then someone turns up at my door trying to persuade me to become a Christian. Pushy, much? This happened once on Flickr. Not to me, I admit, but someone was saying how they were confused with religion and 'didn't know what to think'. A certain person who I won't name 'cause he's actually a good builder said 'FM me, I can [help you]'. I'm not sure exactly what he said (my darn memory), but he basically said that he would persuade the person to become a Christian by selling their beliefs to him in an FM. This is atrocious. That person - whoever he may be - should have their own choice as to what their religion. How dare a Christian try to force his religion on another person, who will most likely accept it and become a Christian as a result. I seriously object to this. It's just wrong.

But hey, that's my two cents as Zack would say. I'm just saying that an atheist would never do that; I had no thoughts about FMing him explaining how he should be atheist. They should back off and let people decide for themselves.




~John

1 comment:

Zack said...

I find it odd, being a Christian why there are missionaries trying to convert. I mean if someone wanted to convert wouldn't they just do it. I know I just questioned my own religion, but I find this all a touchy subject anyway. Way to handle it!